Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Beds with Storage for my girls

My girls (ages 8 & 9) share a room.  A small room.  Several years ago, we built some bunk beds for them.  I didn't take long for Carley, the younger one, to get tired of sleeping on the top bunk.  And Mattie would never have slept up top.  The solution... we brought in a twin bed for Carley and the top bunk turned into a "play area".  It didn't take long for the "play area" to become a "junk pile".  The girls were in serious need of storage space and organization.

 Jason and I decided to dismantle the bunk beds and figure out something better for their room.  I searched and searched to find a design I liked for beds with storage.  I couldn't find anything that I felt would provide enough storage AND be suitable for them into young-adulthood.  Finally, it came to me.  Kitchen cabinets!  I knew I could find some for cheap at the Habitat ReStore.  And the height would be perfect for a bed platform.

This is how it all started!



Family pic after Phase One  (Mimi took the picture)
One week later, the girls are sleeping in their custom designed "Funtastic" beds!  Jason named them Funtastic because they have cool hiding places.  Behind the cabinets, they added framework to make it big enough for the mattress platforms.  This created a little corridor where the kids can crawl around.  Plus, we have the corner cabinet that is a small play area complete with Christmas lights.





In total, the beds themselves cost just under $100.  We got the cabinets for $60.  All of the wood for the frame was reused from their old bunk bed, as well as the platforms.  We used reclaimed cabinet doors for shelves, and the shutter doors were from the side of the road.  I bought new hardware for the drawers and doors.  And I bought the cute shelf paper for inside the cabinets.

Shutter doors that I picked up from the roadside!
Shelves made from salvaged cabinet doors
I ended up spending almost as much on the new bedding!  I could have done without that, but I just really really wanted cool new bedding for the cool new beds.  

My husband worked so very hard on this.  He was really skeptical at first, but he trusted my vision and went with it.  He loves me so!!  I also have to give a big shout out to my parents.  They came over for the weekend and helped with this major project.  My daddy is a great handy-man, and my mama took care of us all throughout the weekend by cooking and cleaning for us!  I can't imagine life without my wonderful parents!!

20 comments:

  1. This is amazing! How big is the space between beds and wall? Is it like a tunnel? Is there any way you could post more pictures or a quick tutorial on the frame out process? I love it, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you, by any chance, have measurements?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love this! I'm making a raised bed with a play area underneath for my 10 year old daughter, and I'm stealing some of your ideas. (and your parents sound great!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We made two of these beds for our daughters. We used two bathroom cabinets set side by side. My husband took plywood and made the platform for the mattress to sit on. He then framed around it with 2 x 4's to keel the mattress in place. We made one for a twin size mattress and one for a full size mattress. The space under the twin is big enough

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cont'd the space under the twin size bed will hold 6 of the small to medium Rubbermaid totes. The full size bed can hold 4-6 of the large Rubbermaid totes. Great storeage for out of season clothing or Christmas/holiday decor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My tip: don't use bathroom cabinets. They have the faux drawers in them and it is unusable space. Mix and match kitchen cabinets like the ones shown above. This idea is so cute, I would like to change ours around to be similar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you able to post any pics of how the space btwn wall and cabinets ended up? I can't picture this space or how to access it....?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a single mother of two young girls and would love to attempt this. Do you have any more pictures of the process or any further information on how your husband built these? I learn best by seeing. If you do could you please email me at jodyb03@aol.com Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a single mother of two young girls and would love to attempt this. Do you have any more pictures of the process or any further information on how your husband built these? I learn best by seeing. If you do could you please email me at jodyb03@aol.com Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too would love some more detailed instructions about how you did this. Am a single mom of two girls and really want to this for my girls. Samyoungnews@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Muito lindo, aaaaaaaaamei. Tenho dois meninos e um quarto pequeno, será ideal para manter a ordem, e o espaço ��

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea, and one I will be copying but in the lounge/sitting room. Will make great benches/spare beds especially if I turn the cabinets on their side and put baskets in. Instead of doors I might put curtains or a fancy fretwork style cover, north African style. Just a word of warning, make sure that the mattress is up off the top of the cupboards by about 4" and is lying on slats. My husband made a similar style bed to this years ago and used a solid mattress base with holes drilled in for ventilation. The mattress still went mouldy and my doctor said the mould was aggrevating my husbands asthma. This was in spite of us turning the mattress weekly and having air vents drilled in the wood. A furniture maker later told us that this is why bed frames always have slats or heavy duty wire underneath the mattress, or divan beds are basically an empty space with fabric covering the slats. Other than this, the idea is fabulous and one I will be copying just because of the fantastic storage you have gained and the cheapness of the the units. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes.... Words don't explain the lightbulb that just went off... Creative 150% amazing and elegant for small spaces...thank you

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes.... Words don't explain the lightbulb that just went off... Creative 150% amazing and elegant for small spaces...thank you

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there! Is there a place where I could get more specs or pictures of the unit without the mattress so I can figure out how to build it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Nice Blog!!! Thank you for sharing information. Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, waiting for a more new post. Keep Blogging!

    Vintage Metal Bed Frame

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing the valuable information with us. It helps us to improve our knowledge about twin bed sets.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We specialize in the design and production of custom commercial bunk beds for the vacation rental industry. We only do one thing, but we do it well.

    Visit here : Heavy Duty Bunk beds

    ReplyDelete
  19. Modern Wooden Double Bed Price⭐ Designs directly from manufacturer made up of Sheesham Wood ⭐ with Easy Customization ⭐ Easy EMI ⭐ Free delivery.Wooden Double Bed

    ReplyDelete
  20. Play online cricket is an easy way to enjoy the game without stepping outside of your home. Making a team and playing with friends online adds to the enjoyment. You can develop your cricketing skills with easy practice tools. It is also a great way to keep your cricketing skills up to date during the off-season.

    ReplyDelete